Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Adam's Return (Lament)

This poem laments the absence of peace. It’s written in quatrains with lines of dactylic hexameter and iambic pentameter and with a rhyme scheme of ABCB.


Humbled, I cry to the God of the earth and all heavenly beings.

When has it been that the confident song of my spirit diminishes?

Sin draws out tormenting, harrowing, arduous, turmoil daily.

Worry infests in my sanctum, sweet melody finally finishes.


Men without peace are like songs with no melody, kings with no scepters.

See, O God, see what they do to me! False and misleading their pardons!

Scavengers spot me and lure me away from your stronghold at Zion.

Far from my homeland they force me to roam in their Babel of Gardens.


Loathing, self loathing, is dwelling inside me, no hope of escaping.

Conflict embraces its devious nature, infecting my silence.

Bellowing deep within, echoing, echoing, echoing grossly

Fleeting emotions are sin’s revolution, resounding with violence.


I have no rampart to fend off disquietude, mercy release me!

Loss of devotion, the boss of objective, I’m born with infection.

Grief is around every corner while brokenness knocks at my doorpost.

Whoever saw such things? Things that I see in my own sad reflection.


Senseless, bewildered, I look for some shade in this desolate desert.

What do I see in this wilderness? Thriving with life and great valor?

Tired, I sit at the foot of the dogwood tree, thankful for respite.

Something is in me though, something so strong that it rid me of pallor,


Sharp as the sword of a knight, but as smooth as the rock of Mount Zion.

Color I felt rushing back to my cheeks and cool breath filled my being.

No longer the pounding Triskelion running but God’s footsteps pacing.

Whispers so low and non vocal are strange to me, clenching yet freeing.


Succulent promise came. Bittersweet nothingness washed away swiftly.

Suddenly craving for water I’m quenched, never thirsting, I’m stronger

Then some ethereal mist whisked by brushing the tip of my nostril.

Breathing in deeply, the heavn’ly aroma I hold back no longer!


Light of the heavens, do show yourself fully and bless this poor beggar.

When I step out from the shadow Truth shines from every corner.

Treading on ground that is finer than gold and more beautiful still

Given the hope of a life spent with you, I’m no longer a foreigner.


I fall down to my knees and cry to Him,

“Release me from my chains and set me free!”

To You, O God, I give my life’s account.

By Saving Grace you lift me from debris,


Forgive me of my fault, my harm, my sin.

For I have crushed the blameless, beat the poor

My hands have touched; my eyes have seen Your Grace.

In You, O Lord, I stand and can endure.


Let all the nations praise the Prince of Peace!

Should any living man reject His love?

To God I asked forgiveness; He forgave.

He spoke to me, and I became a dove.


The Lord is good to those who trust in Him.

The sun shines bright for I whose trust is thin.

My peace restored, therefore I weep no more.

Forbear, forgive, forget, for peace within.

No comments:

Post a Comment